Tuesday 29 March 2016

When my Grandpa died....

Three years ago, yesterday, my grandpa died.
I remember that night very well.
I was out, playing, with my sister and my friends. My mum had just arrived after getting a manicure and pedicure done. My brothers were at home, playing video games. My elder sister was out with her friends. My dad was at work, having an important meeting. It was a beautiful Friday night. I remember having really tasty cookies that morning and telling my friends about it.
My sister had just arrived home and was calling me inside since it was 11'o clock and way past my bedtime.
I, however, decided to keep playing.
My sister called me again, however, in a serious tone this time. Wondering what it might have been, I decided to go home with my younger sister. As I opened the door, I heard my mum crying. At that minute, I knew something was wrong. My elder sister came closer, hugged me, and said "Granpappy went."
"WHAT?" I asked, then I realized what she said. My younger sister, being her innocent self,asked me where he had gone. I ran to the toilet and let it all out. I cried and cried and cried. Memories of me and my grandpa played in my head. I remembered the last time I talked to him; it was on my birthday through a phone. We hadn't been able to talk much as he couldn't hear me very well.I never spent more than two months a year with him but he always made those two months as good as he could for me. I never really appreciated what he did for me until I lost him. Later, my daddy rushed home and booked an airplane ticket for my mother and my younger sister to travel to the funeral. I was upset because I couldn't go with them. But then I realized that I didn't want to go. I knew that I wouldn't be able to bear to see his funeral.
Every year I go to visit my "granmammi", I miss him a lot. I try not to think about my loss and be thankful to God for what I already have but it's almost near impossible.
However, the last time I visited, I found a chest full of books in his attic. They were his (guess where I get my nerdy side from) I found something that stood out of the books. It was a piece of paper. Inside it was written:
 Death is as sure for that which is born, as birth is for that which is death. Therefore grieve not for what is inevitable.
I instantly felt better after reading it. Infact, it's a quote to live by. Death is Inevitable. It is a very difficult time for people. But instead of crying over your loss, cherish the memories you created together.

Love you, granpappy.
-Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment